Why Move To Bulgaria? - World Blog Surf Day

It is World Blog Surf Day today (28th March) and Golden Prague has organised just that. A series of blogs written by expatriates especially for this special day. Essentially a world surfing tour from many expat bloggers telling why they are where they are.


-------------------------------


Why did I become an expatriate in Bulgaria? This is often a question asked and not an easy explanation either. There are so many reasons that this happened, but the main reason was perhaps running away from a previous life that had made me ill. It has taken some time to work out that answer and many other expatriates if they are honest with themselves will own up to that fact.

To know what I see and have now found in Bulgaria you really need to know the yearnings of the past so forgive a little history into why I live in Bulgaria

Every since I was a kid aged 6 or 7 years old I'd see a hill in the distance and I wanted to go to that hill. Later as a teenager in London the 70's, green living got a hold of me and the combination of wanting to be somewhere else and self-sufficiency was a pipe dream.

It wasn't until I was 46 that the opportunity came to pass. Owning and working a smallholding I thought was an impossible dream. England was too expensive, then Wales and Scotland became beyond my means and finally France, which was affordable during the 80's and early 90's was left too late and we were priced out there as well.

It was now 2004 and eBay was being surfed, a house was being auctioned and there was only 8 hours to go, and the price was under £2000 with no reserve. I thought it was a scam or a joke and followed the auction through. The house with land was sold for just over £2000! I didn't believe it, but did after I looked into other property in Bulgaria going for roughly the same value It was quite a revelation and an affordable opportunity that I thought had hit a brick wall.

Within 3 months of seeing this site I had done masses of research on Bulgaria, visited it and actually bought a farm smallholding online! Within 6 months of viewing that auction and indeed knowing where Bulgaria was, eBay I escaped the financial and rat raced rut that I was was living in the UK and was living as an expatriate there. It wasn't panic or a mid-life crisis, but a sudden realisation that Bulgaria and me just clicked.

Now there are many things I regret in life, many based on not acting quickly enough, but moving here was the best solution for me and my lifetime ambition. I have sacrificed more than most can ever imagine to get here and many said I was crazy to make the move. To me now on reflection the poverty and simplicity of live here is the great appeal, it was only poverty based and a complex life based on mortgages and credit through a material based culture in the UK.

Many other considering it may prefer more 'up market' countries to move to. Bulgarian life is very rough at the edges for most people here, the infrastructure here is quite unstable. Politics is corrupt in the main and a sense of helplessness from the everyday Bulgarian know there is nothing they can do about it. Mafia infiltrated industry is the only reason it survives as it does here. There is four levels of living here, the rich, mainly Mafia based businesses, the town folk who work for a living and the old pension people in the villages. Then of course there is the gypsy community were in the main live on the fringe of Bulgarian society. Please excuse the generalisation, but that is how I see it here in a snapshot.

Bulgaria is it's own monster and you live and get on with the monster or you try and fight it from your foreign perspective. I gave up fighting the monster quite early on after meeting it face to face everyday.

The Bulgarian countryside is beautiful if you ignore the rubbish that is thrown everywhere. The wildlife and nature excels here and is a major attraction along with the Black Sea Coastal resorts, not totally spoilt from over development yet if you look around. And then there is the skiing resorts if you like skiing and can afford it.

The people seem to be very cold initially, but once you get acquainted you will have a friend for life who can't do enough for you. All you need to do is talk and the thaw starts straight away.

Finally, I am indeed luck enough to now have a Bulgarian partner whose family I know live with. This truly is the most Bulgarian of adventures one could get. A very simple life now is led day to day as that is how most Bulgarians live, on a day to day basis.

-------------------------------

Please now can you consider surfing onto Ricky Yates Weblog. He is an Anglican clergyman who moved to Prague to become Chaplain to the English-speaking Anglican Episcopal congregation in the Czech Republic. A great insight of this Chaplain Brit now living and working there. http://rickyyates.com/

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

29 comments:

  1. Martin . I am surely glad that you finally got to escape as it were the rat race and get away to the place of your dreams and yes sometimess the grass is a little greener on the other side. I think you made it to the hill. Sounds like to me you are loving life to the Max and that that wonderful addition of Galia to life has made you as they say A COMPLETED MAN. Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I didn't realise the background of your landing in Bulgaria.

    £2000 for a house? And all those lovely people? It's clearly a bargain and a great choice for you. Nicely done :-)

    All through your post, I felt that you could be talking about Thailand. The trash. The fantastic people. The low prices (ok, maybe they are not so low out here).

    And this one especially so...

    'Bulgaria is it's own monster and you live and get on with the monster or you try and fight it from your foreign perspective. I gave up fighting the monster quite early on after meeting it face to face everyday.'

    I don't fight the monster either. And I do love reading about those that do either / or.

    Thanks for writing this post. It'd make an excellent sticky to explain your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin a fascinating post with a little more personal insight-great read.

    Wish I had known about the World blog surf day! The link to Ricky has provided me with a couple of interesting links to follow as well.

    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting entry Martin. Your story has made me curious about Bulgaria and I liked that wonderful sense of a simple life. Never easy, but certainly peaceful.

    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martin,
    This is a great post! It's so interesting to read how other expats left their homelands (what led them to make the move) to live elsewhere! It's great you are living your dream!!!

    Have a great weekend,
    Sher :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Ioften wondered how you ended up/ started to live in Bulgaria, now I know a bit more. I hope all goes well with farming and you have a splendid harvest this year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get asked that same question all the time and after 6 years I still don't have a good answer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My rat race started while moving abroad..(((
    Now slowed down in Turkey, which is the most active country I lived in..))!
    You will be amazed about the drive of the Turks..))
    Great Post!
    Kindest
    hans

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks yhou all for your responses in comment form. Most I'm sure could write a book on who they became an expatriate and why - So many individual reasons flying arond reading blogs oand this world blog surf day. Long may the writing from everyone carry one, blogging is something good in this world for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Martin

    I very much enjoyed reading your post. I can understand your reasons for leaving the UK - and the 'rat race' behind, but I'm not sure I'd be prepared to 'rough it' as much as you did - I like my comforts too much!!

    Gosh - I can't believe that you could buy a house for GBP2,000!!! Have property prices increased, now that lots of foreigners have bought property there?

    Best wishes,

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Martin, the Bulgarians sound lucky to have you. You are enjoying them so as they are and making the most of this opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The place where you are living right now is the place I would always consider living in. I grew up in that kind of environment so living there wouldn't be a problem to me. Very nice post, glad to know more about you Mart.

    From the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you who dedicately visited my blog when I was away. I am glad to be back on blogging, and I miss it a lot lol.. Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Martin, I enjoyed reading your post! It must be fascinating to live in Bulgaria. Thank you for sharing your story with us--I'm coming back to read more after I make my Word Blog day rounds.

    Cheers from England ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Martin,
    I think I'm going blind or something...I was wanting to "drop" an Entrecard today ( Sunday) but don't see your widget!

    If I'm being "blind" I'm sorry...I'll try again in a little bit! :0)

    Have a great day,
    Sher :0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all for your comments, but remember it take two to tango!

    Sher:
    You certainly haven't gone blind, I have abandoned Entrecard. I have you on my blogroll and make a point of visiting all my entrecard friends daily anyway - I just don't drop anymore. Happy Days.... :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Martin: What an uplifting story. While regret is a pointless emotion, you stepped forward and took action to buy in Bulgaria which has clearly served you well. Sounds like you have got the life you desried and that must be one of the most rewarding thoughts that you can have. Truly a well-written post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, you can write a book about your experiences. I understand your frustration with living in the UK and the funny thing is I had hoped to come here and live a "simple life". I am not finding it yet, but I don't think I can live in Bulgaria either. You are very brave. I would love this idyllic life but I don't think I could deal with a corrupt government.

    ReplyDelete
  18. £2000 Wow that is really cheap Martin. This is a nice post - it made me learn more about you;)

    P.S. I will be adding you too to both of my blogroll;) tom;)

    Life of Filipina Blogger
    MommaWannabe

    ReplyDelete
  19. American In Britain: Good to hear from you!
    I feel that wherever you go there will be forms of corrupt government it is apparently the criteria needed for politics - How else do they get int power? Big subject and something I just put in a box and leave to one side here.

    MommaWannabe: Nice of you to drop in. Thanks for the ads. You used to be able to buy a house here on a credit card they were so cheap, but most needed complete renovations and much more money invested to bring up to expected westernised standards.
    Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know that farming would work for me - too much of it seems to happen early in the morning! You are so right though moving to a more affordable country is a great way to financial freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Martin,
    I'm happy to hear that I've not gone blind!!

    Thanks for still visiting...I'll do the same! Loved this post...your bean plots look great!!

    Have a great day,
    Sher :0)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Martin, I've often wondered what the motivation was behind your move to Bulgaria and completely understand now. You seem to be living the life my husband and I dream about. Maybe he and I should consider living "The Bulgarian Dream".

    ReplyDelete
  23. Over 30s Travel - I'm an early bird, always gave been. This is the best time of the day, just before sunrise so peaceful and relaxing!

    Sher - You really don't think I would desert the good friends made on Entrecard did you?

    Laura - Many people I know just talk about their dreams, not many actually do something about it. I fully understand why, security! So I never criticise anyone who decides to stay within their own safety zone and continue to dream.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is eye-opening (and respect-building!) to read how you ended up in Bulgaria. Wow.

    (Sorry I'm late officially commenting on World Blog Surf Day - I wanted to follow hte chain properly, and am only able to now, Tuesday!)

    Cheers,
    *lynne*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Excellent read Martin.
    I find it interesting how and where people end up. It makes me happy for others once they do make that step because so many say it and never do it, and late is always better than never. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lynne and Richard:

    Thanks for you kind words

    ReplyDelete
  27. It's interesting to note how many similarities there are with rural Greek living. The blatant corruption is difficult to come to terms with as a Brit (it does exist in the UK, but not quite as openly). But equally we can negotiate our own savings interest rate with the local bank, which we couldn't do in England, so swings and roundabouts really.

    We are just starting to grow vegetables. I'm sure we're giving the locals a good laugh with our methods.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Dayflyer, good to see you here. Yer I agree laughing neighbours ring a bell.

    Politics is a mess everywhere - We just get on with things and it doesn't really affect us.

    Take care and don't over do it in the heat.

    ReplyDelete

Awards

Expat Blog Award