Living or Surviving in Bulgaria?

I mentioned on a previous post that it is not a case of living here but surviving here. For many who come here to retire they have a income from either a pension, inheritance or a nest egg they have saved to live on. These expatriates are mainly here to retire and take the backwaters of Bulgaria. Trips to the Coast, the mountains, sightseeing, restaurants and many other things to keep them amused and entertained. There are other countries that can provide a much better retirement location that Bulgaria and I still contest that the main reason expatriate retirees are here is because it is cheap.

It was my original dream to move to France, I loved the diverse countryside,the culture and the language. Everything was geared toward a move there, then the cost of living went sky high, property prices untouchable with a dream now that had faded into oblivion. A depressed Englishman with a dream of living on a small holding completely shattered. I didn't want much, just a small living area and a bit of land to do my own thing. No cars, televisions, microwaves or anything that the modern world makes you think you need. A simple life where you work for you food, not a financial world, but a bartering world. It can still be down to a degree in Europe, the question was for how long?

Bulgaria was there, it seemed just what I was looking for. Then the affordability of Bulgaria came in to play. Affordability is one thing, maintaining to pay for living a life there is another. You can survive will a little money, but you can't with none. Without any pension, nest egg or inheritance, this was the last chance I had. Staying in the UK wasn't an option and although it going to be difficult in Bulgaria it was something I felt compelled to do rather than carrying on in a downward spiral - You could call it desperation I suppose.

Galia works for her brother who owns and manages a boiler manufacturing company. On the site they not only have a new massive factory, but around a big area of land, part of which is farmed by the workers and the crops are rewards for their labours. Now I have been offered work there in the past as another cog in the wheel of boiler manufacturing, but Galia didn't want me to as she felt that this isn't the kind of work that I would enjoy. Besides that that assume that the pay would be an insult to an Englishman. She works there full-time from 7:30 to beyond 5:00 and the odd Saturday and receives less that £150 a month. She is a manager and gets paid more than the workers there who work the same hours. We manage on this wage and Baba's pension; I earn next to nothing and living off other people's income and this is very difficult for me to accept. There is little or no work for me now in the factory as the financial crisis has meant that employees have had to be laid off.

Today, we are just about surviving, as long as our health is fine we should make it. As it stands we will be working all our lives to survive. Having said that, that's exactly what we would be doing the UK and probably end up in an early grave for our efforts.

Would I return to the UK to work for a short spell again for more funds? There is only one reason I would go back to the UK, but that's my secret.

14 comments:

  1. Martin, Is it really that bad ? Almost brought a tear to my eye , I don't know how you do it,if this is true. You must be "a tough ole bird," as we say in the USA or "just a glutton for punishment" ,is another one . But, as I read your past, post you seem to find a lot of happiness there with, you wife and neighbors and you have made a home there,and you know when all is said and done , "THATS ALL THAT MATTERS." One more saying before I go "YOU THE MAN." Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Martin,

    I really feel for u, being in such a difficult situation. Our 8pm news r full of bad tidings as well. Hubby has noticed that the volume of work has been dwindling n it's given rise to concerns. Yes, we r in the grip of fear as the near future seem so uncertain.

    I dont hv much ideas whereby u could generate an income in Yambol. R there other expat homes needing revamping ? U seemed very handy with works involving crafts. Or u could try teaching in the city - english must be a sort-after language for Bulgarians wanting to work abroad ?

    If all else fails, UK seem like a better choice bec there will be opportunities for u, as well as temporary support from welfare until u find a suitable job?

    My thoughts r with u, Galia n Baba.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Martin because you are living your dream. Get through the tough times and the good ones will seem even better. Don't give up on a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin without my devaluing pensions I could not live here. The poor Thais survive in a similar way to what you describe.

    I just got a monthly electricity bill for around £40, my Thai neighbour would probably only pay this much for 4 months!

    The only reason I would move back to the UK is health-I figure the State owes me in that area having worked for 40 odd years and contributed.

    I agree with HD try and weather the storm. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dear, I really didn't write this for sympathy, but just to tell what it is really like here and what goes on. I love the life here, never having had much money all my working life in the UK with mortgages and credit throughout nothing has changed as far as not having any dispoable income is concerned. Living in relative poverty means you live a simple life without waste. Not many people I know incuding some in Bulagria can manage to do that.
    Needless to say, thank you for your suggestions and encouragement.
    Mike - Teaching Expat children privately. There really isn't any demand for this as the schools here cater for expat kids very well and besdie most that come here are either retired with no kids or on a shoestring budget anyway.
    Dutchie - The affects of the Global crisis is affecting the way of life for manyin Bulgaria. There wil be more post comng up in this matter.
    Malcom and CieJay - Glutton for punishment? Never thought I to be like that, but I see where you are coming from. I am certainly happier than most people in this world and that's important
    Martyn - Thanks for your support, I been through much tougher times in the UK - BELIEVE ME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bulgaria/the U.K. sound like Japan. This place is expensive for some reason or another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in 8 different countries on 21 locations, and London, the UK, was my worst experience.
    And what I've seen of Bulgaria was not that bad.
    Hope for you better times will come.
    kindest
    hans

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you are going through rough times Martin! You are a very good writer, I am always enjoying reading your posts. Did you ever thought of doing something more in that direction? For example writing niche blogs hosted on google, what would mean you don't have to pay for hosting? And how is your adsense income from this blog? I came lately across this one http://makemoneywithadsense.today.com/
    Griz is a well known internet/ adsense guru and gives his advice for free !!! Anyway, like you said most important is that you are happy! Anything I can do to help, just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Golden Prague, thanks for the comment and tips. It's perked my up no end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Golden Prague is dead on. With just a little effort you could easily bring in as much as being a manager at the boiler plant.

    I don't think a lot of expats know what they are getting into when they leave their home country and instead of being able to deal with the ups and downs as you seem to do well they fall apart.

    Thailand seems to draw a lot of people that bet it all on a go at being an expat and they fall hard. Every week you read about someone jumping from a building or hanging themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martin, I followed you over from 'My Thai Friend'. You blog is good reading so I'm glad to find you.

    The adventure of living in a culture not our own is rich in itself. Yes?

    And I believe that's a part of why we leave our homes and take the risks we do.

    And it's far, far better than boring ourselves stiff in our home countries!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Martin,
    Things sound pretty tough there in Bulgaria! It is fast becoming the same here in the Czech Republic. But as you said, having to live without much money is often a blessing in disguise. We're taken back to the basics of life, which brings with it simplicity and a focus on what's more important to us. Having "things" and being able to do whatever you like does not bring happiness. Having a place to live, food on the table and a loving family are what bring true happiness in this Life.

    I always enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your life there! You have great support from your readers, that's for sure!

    Wishing you and Galia and Baba all the best,
    Sher :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine: Welcome!
    Living in other countries ism't for all and of course some will never ever find out whether it is or not.

    Sher: Thank you for the best wishes. I couldn't agree more, lots of bloggers here have hearts of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading your post, it does seems life there is quite tough for someone coming from another country, what more from UK. £150 a month translate to roughly RM900 in my country and that's quite low!

    ReplyDelete

Awards

Expat Blog Award