Jogging From Scratch in Bulgaria

Over the last few years I have been so lazy as my lifestyle now just involves sitting down and writing. It wasn't a New Year resolution to start up jogging again, I haven't done that since I gave up smoking over 15 years ago.

I started joggin again because I was looking more and more like a Bulgarian weightlifter every day. I didn't feel right in myself, lacked energy and really worried that my heart was being packed with superb Bulgarian food, but it wasn't being worked off of exercised. As a barometer to the size of my stomach, I have always used the rule that if I can't see my private parts I'm too fat. It had now got to the stage where I had to lean over slightly or get aroused to achieve that. I was too fat! I really have to do something about my Blogaria, actually what a good name for a blog about Bulgaria!

So it was a couple of weeks into January and my intention were clear, lose some weight and get fit, the last thing we need is a hospital bill for a heart treatment and medication. Jogging doesn't cost anything and is an investment in health, unless I get run over by idiot drivers, which has happened a few times.

Having run marathons, been a member of an athletic club, competed in cycling cyclo-cross, and cross country races as well as time trials over 10 and 25 miles as well as mountain biking and endurance events, this was well into my past. This is a danger as a fit person who suddenly give up all exercise is more at risk of having heart attacks than someone who isn't. Starting up again would have to be done very steadily, I knew how to train from the past, warming up and stretching before and after is just as important as the jog. The most frustrating thing is being injured and not being able to perform.

So the first two weeks I just restricted myself to brisk walking starting with a 20 minutes session right up to an hour after two weeks. Eventually faster walking up hills and recovery going downhill. I was ready to start jogging at that point.

My first venture out, it was minus 12 degrees so it was on the the cycling tights before the jogging bottoms, two tea shirts and a sweatshirt, a bobble woollen hat, three pairs of thing sock under my running shoes. After at least ten minutes of stretching I was on the street, but not jogging. Initially it was fast walking then on a flat bit of road a little jog for about 400 metres then a walk again to get my breath back. This was done repeatedly for about 20 minutes on a circular route that brought me back home. Stretching was done again before a quick wash down an a cup of herbal tea or tisane.

For the next four weeks this was a daily routine increasing the jogging distances each time, but always restrained from over exertion. It was now getting to the stage that involved non-stop jogging and over 40 minutes each time.

Right now it is at the stage where I can manage to turn my jog into a running and back to jogging to recover. It is now two day jogging and one day off as rest is needed with the amount of energy used now.

I feel much better in myself, have far more energy and when spring comes I will be fit enough to do some intensive digging on the farm. I can clearly see my privates now and that is a relief. I never weigh myself , but I know that there have been quite a few kilograms left out on the road.

Anyone who blogs a lot, should really consider getting out and doing some exercise, it's not good for your health otherwise, you'll have more energy and think better as well. Besides, when was the last time you got out of breath - Perhaps, some of you shouldn't answer that! No matter where you are it can be done, even if you are a moving target for crazy Bulgarian drivers in Yambol.

6 comments:

  1. Martin , thanks a lot Buddy , for reminding me of my new years resolution to loose a few lbs. put on by sitting at the computor for a couple hours at a time .I don't have a lot to loose ,it's just that it all settled in one spot and thats the hardest to get rid of , so I guess I better take your advise and get off my lazy butt and hit the ole jogging trail. I did about three hours work in the yard this afternoon , does that count for anything ?? I've already had my triple bi-pass and I don't think I want to risk any more problems as I have been pain free and all my numbers are normal, so I guess I better make sure they stay that way . Malcolm
    Oh yes!!!! I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well with the jogging ,12 degrees below ekk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a natural runner - I have short tendons in my legs and have never been able to comfortably touch my toes either. I tried to train up for it once but for now I stick to walking really fast. I'm not a speed walker but I blow most people out the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been way too lazy to do any fitness the last couple of years too and I promised myself- this year would be different.

    Running is not for me but I will walk more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you gave up smoking, its been a amonth since i last work out hehehe.. thanks for the reminder..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to read you are out pounding the roads, your back must be feeling good, that must say something for those stones.

    When I played football in my twenties I jogged regularly and it was no problem. In my thirties I jogged more sporadically and always found it hard work. Last year in my late forties I found it produced so many aches and pains that I called it a day, maybe I should have ran through the pain. Combined with 12 hour work shifts I found running to be too tiring. I do however miss that feel good factor that jogging gives, I must take to the roads again soon.
    If you get any aches and pains you can always try running on the spot on those healing stones, that should cure you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't jogged for years, but I do go for long walks as often as I can, even if it's just to the shops. I do agree that exercise makes you feel really good.

    ReplyDelete

Awards

Expat Blog Award