Jogging and Cycling in Towns and Villages Respectively

Having taken up jogging in Bulgaria over the last month, there are many reasons behind this. Before starting can I mention that normally I am an avid cyclist, if ever a few kilograms wanted to be lost from a fit, but aging man, a couple of weeks cycling over long distances usually did the job. I just love cycling, even in mid-winter in sub-zero temperatures (see 365 Bulgarian Adventures.) So why jog instead of cycle?

During the week I am in Yambol and the many cyclists that wheel and hobble along the cobblestone street is a refreshing sight. Every cycle I see my mind says 'one less car', but the cycling is down more to cost than environmental conscience. Most of the bicycles I see are not roadworthy and those that are ride the wrong way up roads, on pavements and carry vast amounts of luggage making the bicycle too unstable to ride so it is pushed. The average speed limit to cyclists in Yambol is just generally just slightly faster than walking pace. If yo add the horrendous potholes that have really got worse and worse this winter as each day goes by, going any faster, without brakes on their bikes, makes absolute sense.(see Roma Riders)

With all this in mind, my bikes is sitting in the garage as my style of cycling is very different from Bulgarian cycling. First and foremost I do it for pleasure and health, I don't think this aspect is even consider for one moment by most Bulgarians. Riding a bike is done only because a car can't be afforded! I cycle like I am on a time trial most of the time, this can't be done in Yambol, nowadays there is too much traffic, too many bad roads making it far too dangerous to travel at speed in such environments. If I have a hybrid mountain bike it would be fine but I have a light and fast touring bike designed for speed on good roads, I can't do that here. I have another bike, a pure road bike in Skalitsa as the road there are excellent for touring and road riding, this is where my cycling usually takes place.

So, the jogging has taken over form cycling in Yambol. I once competed the London Marathon a long time ago, but that is ancient history now as I tramp the back roads of Yambol. Even on the road it is like a cross country event with the torn and uneven road surfaces. I think I must be the only person in Yambol who goes out jogging. I have never seen anyone jogging here since I been here, even in the warmer months. Bulgarian drivers just don't know how to react when passing a jogger, they always pause as they are not sure whether to give me a wide berth or run me over - they certainly have been close to that. Yet if I was on a bike they would give the greatest respect when passing.

Dogs haven't a clue what to do when I pass them. The ones that are chained up bark to the hilt, well that's what they are there for. The wild, free dogs bark when I approach but that stops suddenly when I pass, they also have not seen anything like this going on. It's almost if they are saying that it's their job to run on Yambol roads not mine!

Loosing weight is my prime objective here, plus I've had a few warning signs from my heart telling me to work it a bit more. Also in view of reading Malcolm and Ciejay's Blog, it probably makes me even more determined to keep it up.

Galia did a half marathon here in Yambol quite a few years ago, it was a one off event for charity so she tells me. Pity it's not an annual event, but then jogging is not at all a Bulgarian thing!

10 comments:

  1. Martin < thanks for the picture of you and cycle , good to put a face (what we can see of it ) with the name . You almost make me feel ashamed of myself , I am feeling great and proud of myself for my twice and on rare occasions three times a week, walks. Keep up the good work over there ,and I can't belive you still jog in that weather. Our town is the most health minded place I have ever lived , posted around town are four , like outdoor gyms , a walking track with lights for the nite time and bike trails all over the place , and loads of folks riding bikes everywhere.I have cut back on my food intake , and a few more lost lbs. and I may just hit the jogging trail. Malcolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malcolm:
    Nice to hear from you again. that picture was taken three years ago by the way, the 'tash has gone now.
    Yambol is probably the least fit conscience society I have lived in. They only cycle here because they have to, everyone loves cars, the bigger the better but they can't afford them. I am consider a big eccentric here for both cycling and jogging for pleasure. To the Bulgarians this is a complete waste to time and energy. If you get enough exercise you can basically eat what you want, I hope you carry on with your fitness regime, it help the mind as well.
    Bikes are my favourite hobby, but far too dangerous and joggin here is dnagerous enough with dogs and Bulagrian drivers around. I nearly got run over today, if I could have run faster I would have caught up with the car, dragged the driver out and throttled the idiot!!
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
  3. heehe I am reminded of a scene in Back to the Future III...

    Doc: "And in the future, we don't need horses. We have motorized carriages called automobiles."

    Saloon Old-Timer #3: "If everybodi's got one of these auto whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore?"

    Doc: "Of course we run, but for recreation, for fun."

    Saloon Old-Timer #3: "Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?"


    No one in their right mind would run... just for fun!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne:
    Well resourced information and how ironic coming from the most automated country in the world!
    Thank you for the time it took to make the comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Martin,
    Enjoyed your post...and you're inspiring me to give biking a try! Here, though, it's a bit dangerous...the drivers are terrible and I am sure would love to run over pedestrians and bikers if it wasn't against the law! Jogging is too much for my lungs...but will surely have to give biking a try...on a very country road with no cars! :0)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sher:
    Take it really easy cycling if yo haven'done it before or for a very long time. Expect to have a very sore bum for the first couple of weeks, it will go eventually just be warned. Wear a helmet as well, there are some very lightweight ones around after a while you don't even notice you are wearing it. Finally, don't ride every day, have a few days rest between rides, you'll have much more energy and enjoy it even more.
    God I'm a nag aren't I? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the visit martin!

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a blast! I don't cycle or jog any longer - now it's hiking, bullwhips, yoga and fire.

    You have an intriguing and entertaining point of view.

    Make sure to wear very bright clothes when you run, especially in Yambol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bicycles r like an extra set of legs in NL. I'm amazed how moms saddle up a kid in front n another behind when she needs to go to the shops or to sent them to school. At peak morning hours we jostled with hordes of kids cycling to school n commuters cycling to the train station (which is packed with hundreds of bicycles in the shed) .. yeah, it's peak cyclist rush hour :-o !

    Folks around here r avid joggers as well. Best routes r the quiet country road around the farming community. They r all paved roads. Hubby n I enjoyed walks on long summer evenings. We give winter a miss bec it's terribly cold underneath the big sky ;-s

    The dutch r generally health conscious n economically prudent. Using the bike for most errands n jogging/walking after a day's work says it all really :-)

    The downside of a bike country is that it get stolen a few times a year when chained at public places. Hubby lost his abt 3-4 times a year at the train station. It's often kids who took it for fun rides. We usually recover it back from bushes around the neighbourhood. There r no sirene alarms like with cars, otherwise we would be spared the frantic search. The latest advice is to install a chip which could be read with a police scanner but it has little effect on theft. Twice a year, bicycles that r brought to the police r auctioned off when it's not claimed by the owner after 6 months. This gives u an idea of how often a bike gets stolen, as well as the agony of the owner who finds himself suddenly without transport to get home :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dutchie,
    Thanks fo rthe comment an enlightenment.
    Yes, getting you bike stolen happened to me and worst my kids in the UK, it really is a terrible feeling as the bike was like you buddy - and hi-tech mountainbikes cost a fortune.
    Luckily bike in Bulgaria very rarely get stolen. you see load just parked and unlocked all over the town. There aren't many in the village, they don't have much use there at all.

    ReplyDelete

Awards

Expat Blog Award