Bulgarians Ill in Winter

Everyone seems to be ill in Bulgaria during the winter, colds, flu, headaches, you name it they've all come down with something recently. This happens every winter here, I think I know why.

In the winter many just stay indoor unless it is essential that a trip has to be made. Going to work the buses are crowded with all the windows shut. In the work places, the air-conditioning circulates the germs in a air trapped environment. In the Post Offices, Banks and other utility payment places, the waiting in queues with virus filled people seems never ending. These queues are tightly packed, you will often get someone breathing down your neck wherever you queue here. It is no wonder that sickness is at its prime during the winter.

The amount of money spend on drugs is almost on par with the cost of food. I often wonder why there are so many chemists in Yambol, perhaps this is the reason, to cope with the demands that are set upon them in the winter months. Aspirin, paracetamol, throat lozenges, cough syrups, but none as popular than the rakia which is frequently being dipped into as a winter medicine. The 46 litres of 42% proof rakia that was made a few months ago is now down to 30 litres and counting. I dread to think how people cope without rakia. Certainly not making your own would add substantially to the chemists' profits and the increased poverty stricken communities here.

So why haven't I been ill every winter? I can't remember having anytime when I have had a virus, cold or flu since being here. Everyone else around me is dropping like ninepins and the Englishman seems to be immune from all the bugs that are going around. It's not as if I do anything different from anyone else apart from recently taking up jogging again. I'm indoors all day, I queue for hours and use the sardine buses and I also am subjected to air-conditioning environments all day. So why am I in perfect health each winter?

It's a mystery, I don't have an answer and neither do the coughing and spluttering people around me. Galia and Baba both have picked up colds over the last couple of days, Ivo is expected to fall with it any day now and there's me off jogging for an hour. I feel quite guilty about my good health, but then not going jogging wouldn't help matters either.

Spring is only a few weeks away now, the 1st March should just about have seen us through this Bulgarian winter and the illnesses that go with it. March 1st of course is another big day, it's another Imen Den (Name Day), the biggest name day of the year. Have you guessed what it is yet?

11 comments:

  1. The last thing that Galia and Baba need is you to fall ill. You take care my friend.

    Is that flu similar to the hay fever that was sweeping across the UK in the past? If so, perhaps you already have immunity towards it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this also the case in your first year in Bulgaria? I find that, in my first year in a new country, I tend to pick up every illness going around, but after that, I don't usually get ill very much. I think it is just a matter of getting used to the bugs in your new environment. Of course, having a good immune system helps and it sounds like you have one of the best!

    Roz
    http://lifeinaustralia.today.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CK and Ros, Thanks for your comments:
    My first year here was all alone in an isolated village, no bugs around, therefore no colds, flu or anytign else. Then over the last few years I have lived in the town, but still no bugs picked up since I lived there. Bulgarian flu, viruses and colds come in all forms, you can't really pu tyour finger on one type of epidemic. There is no such thing as hay fever here by the way CK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really dread crowded spaces during the winter, with people passing on all kinds of flu virusses, but it's unavoidable with public transport or shopping in the supermarkt, for instance.

    I do up my intake of fresh orange juices. They do advocate that in NL. Sometimes I still get the flu though. There's just no saying how I caught it, is there ? But so far so good ... knock on wood :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dutchie, nice of you to drop in...
    Let's hope you get through unscathed this time round. Natural vitamin C seems to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really does sound like you are super-resistant to germs - you would probably be unscathed wherever you lived!

    Thanks for visiting my crafts on a budget blog. I started doing such projects last year as I had a lot of time on my hands and little money!

    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roz:
    Lots of time and very little money - rings a bell!

    I have always said that's better than lots of money and little time - Millions of people would disagree though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martin, I'm sure that your jogging and biking really help your immune system. It's exactly like accelerating a car's engine to burn off all the impurities and doesn't give the cold any time to set in. I run 2X a week and never get sick. We also air out the house every morning (even if it's freezing out). It makes a huge difference to have good air! Not having carpets on the floors helps enormously too (and, of course, eating fresh fruits and vegetables).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dan:
    Thanks for your visit and comment.
    I think too much running and cycling weakens your immune system, I think your twice a week is a good balance. I agree totally on your other reasons for being well. I must admit the last two years or so I haven't been doing much exercise at all and still came through unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. March 1st is Baba Marta day or Grandmothers Day, Baba Marta meaning Grandmother March.
    No colds for the English contingent, Bulgaria could make a perfect winter training camp for our GB athletes.
    I am not so lucky when it comes to air con, I normally end up with a chest infection, nothing to serious but nonetheless rather unwelcome when holidaying in Thailand.
    Back home in Blighty I have a flu jab each year which seems to work, though it doesn't stop colds or the chest virus I picked up in Thailand Xmas time. Rakia does offer a little compensation and good excuse for those under the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Martyn:
    Well researched, 1st March is indeed Martinitsa Den or Grandmother Marta's Day, who indeed is celebrated. She an unpredicatble woman long gone but here presence is int he March weather, which is unpredictable. There are thing Bulgarian's do to avoid the worse of her temper on this day. It's also your and my name Day being Martyn and Martin respectively. More about the tradition nearer the time.
    Flu jabs, I think that doesnt' help you natural immune system, I never had in the UK and never had much problem there either - to be honest I'd rather have the flu than a jab, I hate needles!
    Rakia helps as well, I'm sure of that.

    ReplyDelete

Awards

Expat Blog Award